POLICY TITLE: EL1 - Treatment of Students
With respect to treatment of students and public, the president shall not cause or allow conditions which are unfair, undignified, unhealthy, or unsafe.
Further, without limiting the scope of the above statement by the following list, the President shall not:
- Operate without reasonable protections against hazards or conditions that might threaten the health, safety or well-being of those who use College facilities or property.
- Operate without policies, which are enforced, that prevent students from exposure to harassment, provide remedy for harassment situations, and provide methods for dealing with individuals who harass.
- Deliver programs in a manner that is insensitive to students’ culture.
- Use forms or procedures that elicit information for which there is no clear necessity.
- Use methods of collecting, reviewing, storing or transmitting student information that fail to protect against improper access to the information elicited.
- Permit admission, registration, evaluation, or recognition processes that treat students unfairly.
- Permit student evaluation practices which are invalid, or which fail to provide a clear indication of the level of student mastery.
- Operate without clear written guidelines for the handling of student complaints.
- Operate without written guidelines for student behaviour, including consequences of failure to adhere to the guidelines, and including a statement of student rights and responsibilities, which are readily accessible to all students.
- Permit decisions affecting students to be taken without appropriate consultation and/or participation by students.
Date Approved: 19 Jun 2007
Date Reviewed: 16 Jun 2010