POLICY TITLE: EL7 - Communication and Support to the Board
The President shall not permit the board to be uninformed or unsupported in its work.
Further, without limiting the scope of the above statement by the following list, the President shall not:
- Allow the Board to be without adequate information to support informed Board decisions, including relevant environmental scanning data, a representative range of staff and external points of view, and significant issues or changes within the external environment which may have a bearing on any existing Board policies, along with alternative choices and their respective implications.
- Neglect to submit monitoring data required by the Board (see policy on Monitoring President’s Performance) in a timely, accurate and understandable fashion, including explicit CEO interpretations of the Board policies being monitored and evidence of compliance.
- Let the board be unaware of any actual or anticipated non-compliance with any Ends or Executive Limitations policy, regardless of the Board’s monitoring schedule.
- Let the Board be unaware of any incidental information it requires, including, anticipated adverse media coverage, significant external and internal changes, or publicly visible external and internal changes or events.
- Allow the Board to be unaware that, in the President's opinion, the Board is not in compliance with its own policies on Governance Process and Board-Staff Relationship.
- Present information in unnecessarily complex or lengthy form, or in a form that does not clearly differentiate among monitoring, decision preparation, and general incidental or other information.
- Deal with the Board in a way that favours or privileges certain board members over others, except when (a) fulfilling individual requests for information; or, (b) responding to officers or committees duly authorized by the Board.
- Neglect to supply for the consent agenda all items delegated to the President, yet required by law, regulation or contract to be board-approved, along with the applicable monitoring information.
- Allow the Board to be without reasonable administrative support for board activities.
- Shall not allow the public to be without several current and alternative methods of accessing board policies and public minutes, including the website.
Date Approved: 19 Jun 2007
Date Reviewed: 16 Mar 201
Date Revised: 19 Mar 2008