POLICY TITLE: GP8 - Governance Succession
The Northern Lights College Board believes that board effectiveness begins with the diversity of skills and the personal commitment of Board members. In order to ensure a proactive approach to this commitment, the Board (acting as a committee of the whole) will identify candidates for public board members whose resources and backgrounds enhance the Board’s ability to carry out its mandate to the greatest extent possible.
- When considering its recommendations, the Board will be trying to ensure its make-up achieves the following competencies:
- strong commitment to and interest in Northern Lights College
- reasonable time availability
- ability to work with and learn from others, strong interpersonal skills and good communication skills
- comfortable working with the Policy Governance model
- intelligence and common sense
- skill at articulating a vision and influencing others to share the vision
- reasonable breadth of life and work experiences and knowledge of British Columbia’s learning system
- previous experience on, or with other boards.
- In order to fulfill its leadership role, the Board recognizes the importance of Community Diversity in its membership. The criteria to ensure that diversity exists should include (but will not be limited to:)
- place of residence (the board seeks wide geographic representation from throughout the College Region (identified as School Districts 81, 87, 59 and 60).
- socio-economic status
- occupation and expertise
- community interests, views and affiliations
- The Board will ensure that nominees put forward by Northern Lights College:
- have the requisite competencies to carry out their duties as Board members including the ability to participate fully in Board meetings and activities as well as other College related activities and any committees deemed necessary.
- are able to assist the College in achieving its mission through effective Policy Governance , strategic leadership and visioning.
- will bring balance to the Board as a whole to ensure it reflects to a reasonable extent the diversity of the community served by the College and the programs/courses offered.
- demonstrate an entrepreneurial attitude toward challenges and opportunities and a strong and visible commitment to Northern Lights College.
Date Approved: 19 Jun 2007