1. Who in the course of their working day will be working alone or in isolation, as defined by WCB Regulation section 4.2 (1), shall inform their supervisor of the location and estimated work time involved. If the worker is traveling an itinerary must be supplied to the supervisor via email with approximate arrival and departure times.
2. Communicate with the worker’s supervisor and if needed the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services to develop effective time intervals for checking the workers' wellbeing in the circumstances of working alone or working in isolation.
3. The worker will check-in at the agreed to intervals and record any unusual observation(s) and report the same to the supervisor.
4. The worker will call staff member designated with the check-in duties and advise of any changes in schedule, travel destination, route(s) of travel, itinerary or any other anomalies that may affect the check-in system.
WORKER(S) PERFORMING CHECK-IN DUTIES
1. Will attend any training sessions and reviews as required.
2. Will document all observations and report any remarkable or unusual observations to the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services and applicable supervisor.
3. Will advise the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services and/or appropriate Health and Safety Representative of any anomalies or deficiencies in the system.
1. Must identify workers that work alone or in isolation.
2. Will seek assistance if necessary, from the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services and/or local JOHSC for establishing procedures for checking on the wellbeing of workers working alone or in isolation.
3. Will establish procedures in the event of receiving no contact with a worker identified as working alone within a reasonable time. The supervisor or their delegate will request assistance if necessary, from the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services and/or local JOHSC if necessary to assist in establishing response procedures.
4. Shall inform the Manager, Safety and Facilities Services and if needed the appropriate JOHSC representative of all incidents, observations, and situations where ensuring contact with a worker posed special problems for the working alone and working in isolation system.
MANAGER, SAFETY AND FACILITIES SERVICES
1. Will provide assistance to supervisors and JOHSC’s in setting up procedures for checking on the wellbeing of workers working alone or in isolation.
2. Will keep records of incident reports of unusual observations (no contact, etc.) for the period of one year.
3. Will inform the appropriate campus Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) of incidents and observations concerning the Working Alone Policy and provide copies to the Regional Health and Safety Committee. Along with the campus JOHSC, will annually review the Policy and established procedures for working alone or in isolation and take into consideration any suggestions provided by the JOHSC for improvement of the existing policy.
4. Will work with the appropriate supervisor or supervisor’s designate to investigate incidents and review the effectiveness of the procedures concerning working alone or in isolation.
5. Will assist in training workers designated to perform man-checks and maintain documentation of checks and observations.
MANAGER HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Ensure that Northern Lights College maintains an effective system for working alone or in isolation.
2. Take remedial actions as necessary to sustain the system and procedures for working alone or in isolation.