This final component of the Cosmetology program includes a short, unpaid practicum in which learners will apply theoretical knowledge by engaging in supervised practice work in industry. If a practicum placement with an actual employer cannot be offered, students will complete their practicum in the lab and perform services on clients under the supervision of their instructor.
Hours: 24 (Practicum Hours: 24)
Total Weeks: 1
COSM 160: Business Skills
- Salon Practicum
Upon successful completion of this Practicum, learners will be able to:
- Perform receptionist duties
- Perform dispensary duties
- Demonstrate shampooing, hairdressing, and comb-out skills
- Assist licensed hairstylists in the maintenance of their clientele
- Perform a permanent wave
- Perform chemical relaxer treatments
- Perform hair coloring and lightening services according to client's needs
- Demonstrate proper sanitation and infection control procedures
- Follow good personal hygiene habits
- Demonstrate good communication skills when discussing client's request for services
- Apply all the skills learned in the Cosmetology program under the supervision of a licenced journey person
Knowledge: Use initiative to identify tasks.
Attitudes: Use time productively.
Skills: Select and use appropriate tools.
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 70%
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
Additional Course Comments:
- Students will sign and adhere to the Trades & Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.