This is an unpaid industry practicum which will be set up with assistance from Trades faculty. The practicum will be supervised and evaluated by Northern Lights College faculty and the employer. Students will be expected to select and use appropriate tools for their assigned tasks. Upon completion of their practicum, learners are required to provide a written report to their instructor detailing their experience on the practicum.
Hours: 60 (Practicum Hours: 60)
Total Weeks: 2
Students must be enrolled in the Electrician Foundation Trades Training Program
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
Occupational First Aid - Level 1
Practical application of skills and theory taught in the Electrician Foundation Trades Training Program.
The 3 week practicum in the electrical industry may include electrical maintenance, electrical construction or other electrical industry related work:
- Drilling and tapping piles for grounding and bonding
- Retrieving electrical parts and tools
- Threading conduits
- Running cable between boxes
- Site cleanup
- Any task the journey person in charge deems appropriate for the worker's skill level
- Student's goal is to gain experience and demonstrate skills learned in the class/lab session, and to perform first year apprentice tasks as assigned.
- Students must keep a detailed written report or log book of activities while on their practicum, and submit in report form to instructor upon completion of practicum.
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: Pass (based on Employer evaluation)
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
Additional Course Comments:
- Practicum placement dependent upon instructor's discretion
- Please review the Trades and Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.