This course is expected to equip students with the speaking, listening, reading and writing knowledge and skills necessary to work efficiently and safely in the field identified in the Learning Plan.
Total Hours: 120
The student will have the recommendation of the college counsellor and the referring agency indicating a positive potential for success in the identified Learning Plan.
1) The student demonstrates the ability to process and complete a four part oral sequence related to tasks which are familiar
2) The student demonstrates the ability to process and complete a two, three, or four part oral sequence related to tasks which are unfamiliar
3) The student displays outward signs of understanding and positive interaction with the speaker
4) The student confirms understanding and seeks clarification when instructions are not understood
5) The student asks for help in an appropriate and timely manner when he/she is uncertain or needs assistance
6) The student demonstrates basic telephone etiquette
7) Student readily recognizes key words found on signs and/or frequently used in their identified interest area
8) The student demonstrates the ability to read a simple set of directions, follow the steps sequentially, and complete the task
9) The student demonstrates the ability to scribe a series of instructions or lists, utilize the notes in fulfilling the instructions, and complete the tasks/expectations
- follow verbal directions and perform a multi part sequence such as Turn on the light, close the door, pick up the yellow paper, and return to your seat.
- follow verbal directions and perform an unfamiliar multi part sequence such as Bring two cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and stir in 1 cup of oat meal.
- demonstrates involvement in the conversation by:
1) making eye contact from time to time
2) nodding the head periodically indicating understanding or agreement
- In an orchestrated setting, add 1 or more unfamiliar verbal directions to a familiar task whereby the student is expected to seek clarification
- provide the student with a task expected to be beyond his/her competence with the purpose of measuring his/her willingness to seek assistance in an appropriate manner
- answers the phone identifying the business in a manner that utilizes appropriate volume and tone
- receives information or enquiries accurately
- provides appropriate responses to the caller
- from an identified list of signs appropriate to the area of study, the student verbally matches the sign with the related information
- the student readily reads and comprehends the appropriate vocabulary terms regularly used in the area of study
- the student receives a set of written directions, such as a recipe, appropriate to the area of study and fulfills the expectations
- when spoken to by an instructor or employer, the student regularly scribes a series of directions or instructions and completes the tasks appropriately
- the student regularly scribes a days activity relating to familiar tasks and expectations - day timer
Job Education and Training