Students will be placed in a 120 hour unpaid practicum. In this time, students will be exposed to operating terminology and become involved with the daily routine and duties performed by a Millwright.
Practicum placements will be arranged only upon recommendation of the instructor, and efforts will be made to provide placements in line with student preferences. Employers will be requested to provide a variety of tasks in line with the student's learning objectives. If a practicum placement with an actual employer cannot be offered, students will complete their practicum in the shop under the supervision of their instructor.
Hours: 120 (Practicum Hours: 120)
Total Weeks: 4
MILL 090 Foundation Trades Training
MILL 100 Millwright Level 1
Students will be placed in an industry setting for a period of 120 hours under the supervision of a certified Journey person. In this time, the student will be exposed to the terminology of the trade and become involved with the routine and duties performed by a Millwright. Employers will complete a College generated evaluation of the student's performance. Depending on placement, students will be required to provide their own Class 1 CSA approved footwear and suitable clothing.
Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Improve and expand upon their newly acquired skills
- Apply theoretical knowledge in practical settings
- Demonstrate safe work practices
- Perform the duties of a second year apprentice as assigned
Use initiative to identify tasks
Use time productively at all times
Select and use the appropriate tools
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: Pass
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
- Practicum placement dependent upon instructor's discretion.
- Student will sign and adhere to the Trades & Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
- In situations where a student's conduct has been deemed unacceptable, for reasons including but not limited to attendance issues and safety concerns, Northern Lights College reserves the right to withhold their practicum placement based on the recommendation of the Instructor and Department Chair.
CSA approved footwear, coveralls and safety glasses.
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.