This course will provide all of the areas of study that a Millwright Apprentice requires to obtain Second Year Technical Training Certification. Level 2 builds upon the theory and practical skills acquired in Level 1 training. Focus is placed on gaskets, bearings and seals, power transmission, alignment, reciprocating compressors, cutting and welding, lubrication, and print reading. Students who successfully complete Level 2 training progress to Level 3 status. Curriculum is determined as per the Industry Training Authority.
Hours: 210 (Lecture Hours: 105; Shop/Teaching Kitchen: 105)
Total Weeks: 7
Successful completion of Level 1 Apprenticeship Technical Training or successful challenge of Industry Training Authority Level 1 Placement Exam.
BEARINGS AND SEALS
- Anti-Friction Bearing Classification and Identification
- Anti-Friction Bearing Removal and Installation
- Plain Bearings
- Bearing Maintenance
- Bearing Seals and Pillow Blocks
- Belt conveyors
- Chain,Bucket and Screw Conveyors
- Shafting, Fits, and accessories
- Power Transmission Belts
- Power Transmission Chains
- Package Handling Roller Conveyors
- Gear Installation and Maintenance
- Safety aspects
- Selection and correct use of lifting equipment
- Material weights
- Calculating safety factors
- Cross Dial Alignment
CUTTING AND WELDING
- Oxyacetylene Equipment and Procedures
- Electric Arc Welding
- Review of Level 1 Material
- Solving Related Trade Calculations
- Mechanics of Simple Machines
- Atmospheric Pressure and Gas Laws
- Coefficient of Expansion
APPLIED PRINT READING
- Review of Level 1 Material
- Welding Specifications
- Practical Application of Print Theory
- Gaskets fabrication and installation
- Bearings and Seals selection installation and adjustments
- Power Transmission
- Reciprocating Compressors
- Cutting and Welding
Upon successful completion of this course, the apprentice will be able to work in a millwright shop safely and perform correct repair procedures typical of a second year apprentice including the following:
- Describe the installation and maintenance of gaskets used in industrial machinery
- Select appropriate anti-friction bearings for specified applications
- Describe the replacement of anti-friction bearings
- Describe the application, installation, and re-manufacture of plain bearings
- Reduce the frequency of bearing failures
- Describe the characteristics and applications of bearing seals and pillow blocks
- Describe the types, application, replacement, and maintenance of couplings
- Describe the types, applications, replacement, and maintenance of clutches and brakes
- Describe shafts, soft materials, and accessories
- Identify and describe installation and maintenance procedures for belt power transmissions systems
- Identify and describe installation and maintenance procedures for chain power transmission systems
- Explain the fundamental terminology and characteristics of gears
- Describe the installation and maintenance, and overhaul procedures for gears and gearboxes
- Describe the installation and maintenance procedures for variable speed Power Transmission Devices
- Align two machines using either the cross dial method or the reverse dial method
- Describe the fundamentals of compressors
- Explain installation and repair of compressor stationary components
- Explain reciprocating compressor component inspection and repair
- Describe reciprocating compressor valves and gas sealing inspection and repair
- Explain reciprocating compressor overhaul and start-up procedures
- Describe the equipment and procedures used when performing heating, cutting, and brazing operations
- Describe the procedures and equipment used in electric arc welding operations
- Describe the use of lubricants in industry
Use initiative to identify tasks.
Use time productively at all times.
Select and use appropriate tools.
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 70%
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
- Hands-on shop time working with various components of machinery.
- Students will sign and adhere to the Trades & Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
Coveralls, footwear having CSA approved safety-toe protection, CSA approved safety glasses with clear lenses, learning modules, notebooks, and calculator.
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.