A continuation of Visual Culture 1 with an introduction to major currents in modern and contemporary art theory and criticism.
Hours: 45 (Lecture Hours: 3)
Total Weeks: 15
VSAR 113 Visual Culture I
- Feminism: first, second and third wave
- Psychoanalysis: Freud, Lacan and Klein
- Saussure: signifier, signified
- Icon and index
- Social History: Marxism and Critical theory
- Subculture and the meaning of style
- Art and activism
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and discuss key historical and cultural theories used in the history of art from the late 19th Century to the present.
- Describe and explain how images articulate and/or repress such themes and constructs such as gender, politics, ethnicity, and modernity.
Grading System: Letters
Passing Grade: C (60%)
Percentage of Individual Work: 90
Percentage of Group Work: 10
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.