This Alberta Safety Council course provides guidance for pre-planning, before you enter bear country, and on-site situations. It will provide knowledge to recognize potentially dangerous situations and the understanding of the best methods to diffuse these hazardous situations.
Hours: 4 (Lecture Hours: 4)
Total Weeks: 1
Topics covered are:
- Learning to distinguish between different types of bears
- Learning how their mobility and diet will dictate where you will find bears
- Understanding the distribution and annual cycle of bears
- An in-depth look at available bear deterrents and applicable legislation
- Direction on how best to handle bear sightings and encounters
Upon completion of this course participants will be able to distinguish between types of bears and their mobility, diet, distribution and annual cycle, available deterrents and applicable legislation. It will provide the guidance and pre-planning tips for working in and enjoying bear country.
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: 70%
Percentage of Individual Work:
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.