Assessment of defensive driving and hazard awareness skills.
Hours: 1 (Field Experience Hours: 1)
Total Weeks: 1
Must attend 6 hour Defensive Driving course or 3 hour Defensive Driving Refresher
- Six Conditions of Driving: driver condition, anticipating changes in conditions, adjusting to changes in conditions, preparing for conditions.
- Hazard Perception and Avoidance: typical hazards, IRP 12 backing signals, how to spot hazards, vehicle positions, mirrors, scanning, wildlife, road hazards, large trucks - sharing the road, seat belts video.
- Split Second Decisions: critical incidents - mental preparation
- Pretrip safety check and vehicle familiarization
- Hazard avoidance
- Defensive planning
- Braking techniques
- Signals and lane changes
- Steering control and lane position
- Parking techniques and backing
- Speed awareness
- Stopping and starting
- Demonstrate better defensive driving skills
- Demonstrate improved hazard perception and avoidance skills
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of traffic laws
- Upon completion, students will be able to apply defensive driving techniques and hazard avoidance skills
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: Instructor's Evaluation (Pass)
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.