This course was designed to educate students on how to recognize and work safely with fires. Working with fires presents workers with many health and safety variables and safe work procedures need to follow strict guidelines and regulations. This course consists of a classroom portion followed by the practical hands-on portion. These practical exercises will allow students a chance to work with fire extinguishment equipment in a controlled and organized manner. Students will have the opportunity to correctly use and understand the restrictions on the different types of fire extinguishment equipment. Under the direct supervision of a certified instructor students will gain an understanding and respect for extinguishing fires and correct protocol in regards to equipment.
6 (Lecture Hours: 4; Field Experience Hours: 2)
Total Weeks: 1
Covered in this course are the following topics:
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to Industrial Fire Extinguishing
- Chemistry of Fire Extinguishment
- Dry Chemical Extinguishers
- Application Equipment
- Inspection and Maintenance
- Field Exercises - Dry Chemical
Upon completion of this course the participant will:
- Have the basic knowledge of fire chemistry
- Understand the process of fire extinguishments using various extinguishing mediums
- Be able to identify the different types of hand-held fire extinguishers and the operation methodology of each
- Be able to demonstrate practical skills with a dry chemical extinguisher and be able to extinguish a liquid hydrocarbon fire.
- Be able to demonstrate proper inspection and maintenance of a fire extinguisher
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: 70% on the written exam and Pass, discretion of the instructor, on the practical exercises.
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
All students are required to supply their own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which includes:
- Fire Retardant Coveralls
- Hard Hat
- Steel Toe Boots
- Safety Glasses
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.