This course is the first of three levels of the apprenticeship program. This eight week course focuses on gas welding, plasma cutting, air arc gouging, as well as stick and wire welding.
Total Weeks: 8
This course is offered online: No
Pre-Requisites: Students must be Employer-sponsored ITA registered Welding apprentices.
WELD 101 P1 Program Introduction and Safety
WELD 102 P2 Gas Cut (Oxy-fuel Gas)
WELD 103 P3 Gas Welding and Braze Welding Part 1
WELD 104 P4 Shielded Metal Arc Welding Part 1
WELD 105 P5 Carbon Arc Gouging
WELD 106 P6 GMAW and FCAW Part 1
Students will be able to:
- Use Hand and Power Tools
- Assemble, Ignite, Shut Down, and Maintain Oxy-fuel Gas Cutting Equipment
- Perform Freehand and Guided Cuts on Mild Steel Plate, Sheet, and Pipe
- Perform Cuts with Cutting Machine
- Fusion Weld Stringer Beads in the Flat Position on Mild Steel Plate
- Fusion Weld Fillet Welds on Mild Steel Sheet
- Braze Weld Fillet Welds on Mild Steel Sheet
- Shielded Metal Arc Weld Beads in the Flat Position on Mild Steel Plate
- Shielded Metal Arc Weld Fillet Welds on Mild Steel Plate
- Gouge Using the Air Carbon Arc Cutting Process
- Perform Cuts Using Plasma Arc
- Gas Metal Arc Weld Fillet Welds on Mild Steel Plate
- Flux Cored Arc Weld Fillet Welds on Mild Steel Plate
Passing Grade: 70%. NOTE: In-school technical training (combined theory & practical) is 80% of final mark. The ITA Standardized Level exam is 20%. These two scores are combined to determine the final percentage score that is submitted to the ITA. A percentage score of 70% or greater is required to pass when the final in-school percentage score and the final ITA standardized level exam percentage score are blended.
Course Offered in Other Programs: No
Textbooks: Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.