Applied Business Technology students are trained for entry-level administrative positions in a variety of businesses or industries. Students specialize in one of three streams: Administrative Assistant, Financial Assistant or Office Assistant. Each stream includes a practicum placement as part of the program. There are three exit points, depending on the stream chosen.
The Administrative Assistant program trains students in communications, administrative procedures, accounting, and a wide range of business software packages. The program runs for three semesters, from September to June. Students utilize Microsoft 2013 software.
Business settings in the public and private sectors such as: Administrative Assistant, Financial Office Assistant, Payroll Assistant, Computerized Bookkeeping Assistant, Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk, Receptionist/Switchboard, Office Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, and Records Management Clerk.
Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John campuses
Length: 39 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent, from the previous five years, indicating successful completion of:
- Grade 11 English, or Grade 11 Communications, or Career and College Preparation ENGL040 (Advanced/Grade 11); and
- Grade 10 Math, or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10).
- Complete the following sections Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 11.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Permission of the Dean of the program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Basic computer and Internet knowledge is advisable including: how to turn on/off a computer; how to open a program; how to save a file; and a preferred 15wpm keyboard speed or a minimum knowledge of the keys (and their location) on a keyboard.
- The information provided here is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
for the Applied Business Technology – Administrative Assistant program
Do you need more information?
Dean: Steve Roe