Esthetics training includes theory and hands-on training in facials, body massage, body treatments, aromatherapy, reflexology, makeup artistry, waxing and tinting.
In Nail Care Technology, students learn theory and application of manicures, pedicures and artificial nail enhancement. Also integrated are the basic principles of anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry, electrotherapy, and sanitation procedures to support the applied learning required for the certificate. Students are introduced to the knowledge and skills necessary for running a salon or spa.
Students write the B.C. Beauty Council licensing examinations (theory and practical), allowing successful graduates to pursue work in British Columbia.
The esthetics industry offers career opportunities in areas such as Spa Therapy, Nail Technician, Demonstrator, Sales Representatives, Salon Proprietor, Makeup Artist, Esthetician on a Cruise Ship, Medical Spa Assistant, Spa management, and more.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus
Length: 40 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
- Grade 10 English, or Grade 11 Communications, or Career and College Preparation ENGL030 (Intermediate/Grade 10);
- Grade 10 Math (Applications, or Principles, or Essentials, or Apprenticeship and Workplace) or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10), or MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math); and
- Grade 10 Science or Career and College Preparation SCIE030 (Intermediate/Grade 10), all with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Science: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English or Grade 11 Communications; Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace); and Grade 10 Science, all with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
- Scheduled enrollment in Grade 11 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace).
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Students will be required to purchase a kit and textbooks.
- The BeautySafe course (the industry equivalent to WHMIS) is included through learner's Beauty Council Western Canada registration during the program.
- Graduates must write the B.C. Beauty Council licensing examinations (theory and practical) in order to pursue work in British Columbia.
- Students must have 800 Esthetics and 400 Nail Technician hours in an educational institution (no apprenticeship allowed).
- The program is affiliated with Peace River South School District 59.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- It is recommended that students complete a SuperHost course prior to completing the Esthetics program.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Esthetics and Nail Care Technology program
Do you need more information?
Associate Dean: Robert McAleney
Program Instructor: Michelle Graham
Please note that students must successfully complete each unit/course in order to progress onto the next.
Recommended Course: We recommend that students complete a SuperHost course prior to completion of the Esthetics and Nail Care Technology program.