Students will be placed in a 40 hour practicum. Efforts will be made to provide placements in line with student preferences, and employers will be requested to provide a variety of tasks in line with the student's learning objectives. If a practicum placement with an actual employer cannot be offered, students will complete their practicum in the shop under the supervision of their instructor.
Date First Offered:
- Total Practicum Hours: 40
This course is offered online:
- AUTO 090 - Automotive Service Technician Foundation Trades Training
- AUTO 100 - Automotive Service Technician Level 1
- In order to secure and begin a practicum placement, students must complete or show current valid certification in the following safety course:
- WFTR 107 Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
Students will be placed in an industry setting for a period of 40 hours under the supervision of a certified Journey person. In this time, the student will be exposed to the terminology of the trade and become involved with the routine and duties performed by an Automotive Service Technician. Employers will complete a College generated evaluation of the student's performance. Depending on placement, students will be required to provide their own Class 1 CSA approved footwear and suitable clothing.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Improve and expand upon their newly acquired skills
- Apply theoretical knowledge
Use initiative to identify tasks
Use time productively
Select and use the appropriate tools
Percentage of Individual Work:
Course Offered in Other Programs:
- Practicum placement dependant upon instructor's discretion.
- Student will sign and adhere to the Trades and Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
Keys to Success:
- CSA approved footwear
- Safety glasses.
- Maintaining a professional attitude
- Successful integration of knowledge acquired in class into the workplace.