This course provides the student with an introduction to the theories, concepts, research methods, and findings relevant to the study of human development from prenatal through adolescence. Major developmental theories and issues are presented. Emphasis is placed on the application of life-span principles and concepts in individual and social contexts. The effects of heredity and environment, and ethical issues relevant to the research of development, are also presented.
Total Hours: 45
Lecture Hours: 45
This course is offered online:
HDEC 100 Essential Skills for Human Services - may be taken concurrently or permission of instructor
Major Theories, Issues and Research Strategies for Human Development
Foundations for Human Development
Development in Infancy
Development in Early Childhood
Development in Middle Childhood
Development in Adolescence
Upon successful completion of this course the learner will be able to:
- Define human development from a life-span perspective.
- Identify and define basic issues and forces of human development.
- Define and explain how theories account for human development during infancy, early and middle childhood and adolescence.
- Identify and define research methods used for studying human development.
- Describe ethical conduct for involving humans in research.
- Identify the basic concepts and research relevant to heredity, prenatal development and birth.
- List the basic concepts and research relevant to development during infancy.
- Identify the basic concepts and research relevant to development during early childhood.
- Define the basic concepts and research relevant to development during middle childhood.
- Identify the basic concepts and research relevant to development during adolescence.
- Reflect on and connect the basic concepts of human development to life experiences.
Percentage of Individual Work:
Other Pertinent Information:
Ministry of Children and Family Development ECE Registry Competencies:
A-3 (ethical research)
A-4 (basic systems theory)
Course Offered in Other Programs:
Education Assistant Certificate; Education Assistant Diploma
Textbooks: Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.