This course will provide all of the areas of study that a Millwright Apprentice requires to obtain Third Year Technical Training Certification. In Level 3, students will advance their skills in the areas of equipment, power transmissions, fluid power, and pumps. Curriculum is determined as per the Industry Training Authority.
210 (Lecture Hours: 175; Shop/Teaching Kitchen: 35)
Total Weeks: 7
Successful completion of Level 2 Apprenticeship Technical Training OR successful challenge of Industry Training Authority Level 2 Placement Exam.
- Level, Align and Secure Equipment
- Power Transmission Theory
- Gear Drives
- Belt Drives
- Clutches and Brakes
- Chain Drives
- Hydraulic Theory
- Hydraulic Schematics
- Hydraulic Components
- Hydraulic Pumps
- Hydraulic Circuits/Components
- Pump Theory
- Types of Pumps
- Positive Displacement Pumps
- Non-Positive Displacement Pumps
Upon successful completion of this course, the apprentice will be able to work in a millwright shop safely and perform correct repair procedures typical of a third year apprentice including the following:
- Demonstrate How to Level, Align and Secure Equipment
Service Power Transmissions
- Describe Power Transmission Theory
- Service Couplings
- Service Gear Drives
- Service Belt Drives
- Service Clutches & Brakes
- Service Chain Drives
Service Fluid Power
- Explain Hydraulic Theory
- Interpret Hydraulic Schematics
- Describe Hydraulic Components
- Identify Hydraulic Pumps
- Assemble, Maintain and Troubleshoot Hydraulic Circuits/Components
- Explain Pump Theory
- Identify Types of Pumps
- Maintain & Troubleshoot Positive Displacement Pumps
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Non-Positive Displacement Pumps
Use initiative to identify tasks.
Use time productively at all times.
Select and use appropriate tools.
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 70%
Percentage of Individual Work: 100
Students will sign and adhere to the Trades & Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
Coveralls, footwear having CSA approved safety-toe protection, CSA approved safety glasses with clear lenses, learning modules, notebooks, and calculator.
Textbooksare subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.