This course provides students the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to manage a medical emergency until more advanced help is available. This course includes the Primary Survey, Airway Management, Breathing Management, Circulation Management (shock, bleeding, & CPR), Minor Wound Management and medical emergencies. Participants must be at least 16 years of age; 16-18 years require parent's or guardian's signature of consent.
Date First Offered:
Total Hours: 8
Other Contact Hours: 8
This course is offered online:
Student must be at least 16 years of age to receive a certificate upon successful completion of this course. 16-18 years old require parent's or guardian's signature of consent.
This course includes the Primary Survey, Airway Management, Breathing Management, Circulation Management (shock, bleeding, & CPR), Minor Wound Management and other medical emergencies.
- Recognizing a medical emergency
- Making the decision to help
- Identifying hazards and ensuring personal safety
- Activating the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) system
- Providing supportive basic first aid care
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Access emergency care in the local community and when travelling
- Activate the emergency response plan at work, and take steps before EMS arrives
- Assess the ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation)
- Remain calm and confident during a medical emergency
- Check the airway, assess breathing, and offer assistance to deal with shock, bleeding and CPR
- Manage minor wounds and medical emergencies
Final Exam: 100 %
Percentage of Individual Work:
Course Offered in Other Programs:
Required - EMP Canada, EMP Level 1 First Aid Student Manual (Medic First Aid International). Chapters Covered: All