Assessment of defensive driving and hazard awareness skills.
Date First Offered:
Total Hours: 1
Field Experience Hours: 1
This course is offered online:
Must attend 6 hour Defensive Driving course or 3 hour Defensive Driving Refresher
- Six Conditions of Driving: driver condition, anticipating changes in conditions, adjusting to changes in conditions, preparing for conditions.
- Hazard Perception and Avoidance: typical hazards, IRP 12 backing signals, how to spot hazards, vehicle positions, mirrors, scanning, wildlife, road hazards, large trucks - sharing the road, seat belts video.
- Split Second Decisions: critical incidents - mental preparation
- pretrip safety check and vehicle familiarization
- hazard avoidance
- defensive planning
signals and lane changes
steering control and lane position
parking techniques and backing
stopping and starting
- demonstrate better defensive driving skills
- demonstrate improved hazard perception and avoidance skills
- demonstrate an increased awareness of traffic laws
- upon completion, students will be able to apply defensive driving techniques and hazard avoidance skills
Other: 100 %
Percentage of Individual Work:
Course Offered in Other Programs: