The Instructional Skills Workshop is offered in a small group setting and is designed to enhance the teaching effectiveness of both new and experienced educators. During the 3-4 day workshop, participants design and conduct three "mini-lessons" and receive verbal, written and video feedback from other participants. Using an intensive experiential learning approach, participants are provided with information on the theory and practice of teaching adult learners, the selection and writing of useful learning objectives with accompanying lesson plans, techniques for eliciting learner participation, and suggestions for evaluation of learning.
Date First Offered:
Total Hours: 24
Lecture Hours: 6
Seminars and Tutorials: 18
This course is offered online:
- use learning objectives or expressive outcomes to inform learners of expectations and intentions
- develop and use a variety of lesson plan formats
- conduct participatory lessons
- use questions and question sequences effectively during a lesson
- use common instructional media and resources competently
- give and receive constructive feedback for peers
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- provide constructive skill building feedback on individual teaching cycles during the workshop
- practice a variety of instructional strategies and techniques
- increase awareness of participatory learning concepts
- discuss and explore the diversity of a contemporary classroom
- recognize the importance of establishing a positive learning environment
- increase the knowledge of self as a teacher
- discuss and explore the variable needs of learners
Assignments: 100 %
Number of Assignments:
Three ten-minute mini-lessons are delivered, based on three lesson plans.
Percentage of Individual Work:
Percentage of Group Work:
Other Pertinent Information:
Course is accepted as transfer to VCC as equivalent to PIDP3102
Course Offered in Other Programs:
ISW Workshop manual is supplied to participants
Keys to Success:
Full attendance, giving and receiving feedback to other participants.
Optional - N/A, ISW Manual provided.Add Content...