The Associate of Arts Degree – AHCOTE (AAA) is awarded to students who complete two years of planned coursework in preparation for entry into the Alaska Highway Consortium on Teacher Education (AHCOTE) teacher-training program offered at NLC. Credits may also be applied toward a degree.
The AAA is offered as part of the University Arts and Sciences program, which provides university-level learning opportunities that reflect the intellectual and creative modes of inquiry practiced in the Arts and Sciences.
Graduates can apply for entry into NLC’s AHCOTE program.
Locations: Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson and Fort St. John campuses, where resources and interest permit
Length: Two years (full time)
Start: September, January, or May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
- Where available, secondary school and/or post-secondary transcripts should be provided to indicate that prerequisites for specific courses have been met.
- Applicants who do not have secondary school and/or post-secondary transcripts that provide documentation of prerequisites may have entry-level skills evaluated through the Writing Assessment, the Calculus Readiness Assessment, or other assessments.
- Applicants who do not have at least a B in English 12 (or equivalent) or at least a C in a university-level English course must complete the NLC Writing Assessment before registering in English courses. Feedback on the Writing Assessment is provided to help applicants make informed decisions about course selection.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Completion of the AAA program is not a guarantee of admission into the AHCOTE program.
- NLC courses may transfer individually to other colleges, universities, and institutes in British Columbia, as indicated in the BC Transfer Guide.
- The AHCOTE program is affiliated with School Districts 59, 60, 81, Simon Fraser University, and University of Northern British Columbia.
- A Solicitor General Criminal Record Check is not an admission requirement for the Associate of Arts Degree – AHCOTE. However, before participating in the Education 252 practicum in year two of the program, students must authorize a Criminal Record Check.
- The information on this page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Associate of Arts Degree – AHCOTE program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Lisa Verbisky
Program Contact: Jaclyn Jones
Year 1 (Pre-Education Certificate)
Plus one lab science (students planning to enroll in AHCOTE should note that in some cases two NLC lab science courses are required to meet the SFU lab science requirement, eg., GEOG 112 and GEOG 114 or PHYS 103 and PHYS 104) (75-105 hrs per lab science)
Plus two or three open electives in Arts and Science, depending on the course(s) selected as a lab science (45 hrs per elective)
Year 2 (Completion of the Associate of Arts Degree)
Plus four 200-level Arts Electives (45 hrs)*
Plus one open Elective in Arts or Sciences (45 hrs)
Note that PSYC 211 is recommended as a 200-level Arts elective. However, PSYC 211 requires PSYC 101 and 102 as prerequisites.