The Business Management program promotes conceptual and technical skill development in business through a one-year Certificate program, a two-year Diploma program, and a Post-Degree Diploma program.
Students can complete first- and second-year courses to earn an NLC credential, or to transfer to university or professional designation programs elsewhere. All Business Management programs may be completed on a full time or part time basis.
The Business Management Diploma has two streams, allowing students to earn a General Diploma or an Accounting Diploma. Courses are transferable to university and professional designation programs elsewhere.
Graduates are prepared for positions of responsibility in areas such as finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, information technology, general management, marketing, and logistics, as well as for further educational opportunities.
Location: Fort St. John Campus
Length: 30 weeks (after completion of Certificate program)
Start: September, January, or May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
- Successful completion of the NLC Business Management Certificate or course equivalents.
- Successful completion of one of the following: Grade 11 Math (Pre-Calculus), or Grade 12 Math (Principles, or Foundations), or Career and College Preparation MATH050 (Provincial/Grade 12), or MATH108, or MGMT111.
Note: MATH108 or MGMT111 may be taken as an elective in the second semester of the Business Management Certificate Program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Subject to appropriate prerequisite qualifications and available space, block transfer agreements may allow Diploma graduates to transfer directly into the third year of degree programs at the University of Northern British Columbia, Athabasca University, Okanagan College, North Island College and Royal Roads University.
- Northern Lights College courses may transfer individually to other colleges, universities, and institutes in British Columbia, as indicated in the BC Transfer Guide.
- Northern Lights College courses may transfer to professional associations such as the Certified General Accountants, Certified Management Accountants, Chartered Accountants, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association, Canadian Bankers Institute, and others. Students are responsible for confirming transferability of course credits to any external organization.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Business Management Diploma program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Lisa Verbisky
Program Instructor: Patrick Michiel
Core courses taken by all diploma students:
Required courses for the Accounting Option:
Plus two electives or minimum of five credits from courses listed under General Option
Elective courses for the General Option (five of the following or minimum of fifteen credits):
A maximum of one course (3 credits) from the following Calculus courses:
Note that Principles of Math 12 is required for students enrolling in elective MATH 101 and MATH 105
Additional notes on course selection:
Business electives best selected for the accounting option are:
Suggested courses for a mathematical orientation or to prepare for a business degree (B.Comm, BBA):
Business electives best selected for a marketing orientation are: