Career and College Preparation, or upgrading, courses are available to students looking to:
- improve basic literacy in English, math, or computer studies
- upgrade to meet prerequisites for trades, vocational or university programs
- finish high school education and earn a diploma
- attend only part-time to accommodate family or work responsibilities
- prepare for employment, or upgrade to improve employment options
- create a better future for the student and his/her family
- achieve a personal goal
The CCP program at NLC offers:
- supportive, adult-centred environments
- part-time or full-time studies
- small class sizes
- flexible arrangements for learning guided by caring instructors
- instructor-led classes
- an Adult Learning Centre for extra help and individualized courses
- tutoring services for current students
- convenient access to college resources
To determine grade level, students have the option to complete English and Math appraisals.
Fundamental Certificate (Level 02)
- Grades 8 and 9
- English, math, and computers
- Individualized instruction
Intermediate Certificate (Level 03)
- Grade 10
- English, math, plus two of the following: computers, science or social studies
- Individualized instruction
- Students may wish to enter a trade or vocational program at this point.
Advanced Certificate (Level 04)
- Grade 11
- English, choice of math courses, accounting, biology, chemistry, physics, computer studies, social studies
- Courses may be face-to-face instructor-led, or delivered at a distance via video conference or web conference or student–directed with instructor support
Provincial Diploma (Level 05)
- B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma
- Grade 12
- English, communications, creative writing, First Nations studies, geography, history, law, math, biology, chemistry, and physics.
- With successful completion of English 05, Math 04 or Accounting 04, and three Level 05 courses or two Level 05 courses and Social Studies 040, or the equivalent grade 11 or 12 Ministry of Education courses, students may apply for the B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma
Locations: Atlin, Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Dease Lake, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Tumbler Ridge
Start: September and February
Fees: Free Tuition; Student fees, textbooks and other costs apply.
- 18 years of age or older;
- 17 years of age or older and
- Out of school for at least one year; or by special arrangement with the School District.
NOTE: There is no maximum age.
- To determine grade level, you have the option to complete English and Math Appraisals
- Questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- The program is not eligible for Canada Student Loans.
- Fees and textbook funding may be available through the Adult Basic Education Student Assistance Program (ABESAP).
- Flexible learning options may be available that fit with your work and childcare responsibilities.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Career and College Preparation program
Do you need more information?
Fundamental Level (Grades 8 and 9)
Intermediate Level (Grade 10)
Advanced Level (Grade 11)
Provincial Level (Grade 12)