Learn all aspects of hairdressing in both classroom and practical application of skill. Learning is accomplished through instruction and use of equipment, tools and materials normally used in salons, quickly advancing to performing services on clients in the program’s shop.
This program uses the international Milady’s Standard Cosmetology training system that has been approved by the Industry Training Authority (ITA) to train students in the basic manipulative skills, safety judgments, proper work habits and desirable attitudes necessary to obtain licensure.
Students write the ITA Cosmetology Certificate of Qualification exam. Graduates receive credit for Cosmetology Foundation training and 1,500 work-based training hours toward completion of Cosmetology Apprenticeship certification.
Hairstylist, Technician, Platform Artist, Salon management, Cruise Ship Salon Operator, Film Stylist, Instructor, Inspector, Examiner, and Salesperson.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus
Length: 40 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
- Grade 10 English, or Grade 11 Communications, or Career and College Preparation ENGL030 (Intermediate/Grade 10);
- Grade 10 Math (Applications, or Principles, or Essentials, or Apprenticeship and Workplace) or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10);
- Grade 10 Science or Career and College Preparation SCIE030 (Intermediate/Grade 10), all with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Science: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English or Grade 11 Communications; Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace); and Grade 10 Science, all with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
- Scheduled enrollment in Grade 11 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace).
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Students will be required to purchase a cosmetology kit and textbooks.
- Graduates are required to write the British Columbia Certificate of Qualification written examination, if they wish to pursue working in the province. Students are responsible for all fees associated with any external examinations. Students who have completed a formal apprenticeship will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority and Peace River South School District 59.
- It is recommended that students complete SuperHost and WHMIS courses prior to completing the Cosmetology program.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Hairstyling/Cosmetology program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Mark Heartt
Program Instructor: Jerri Kurtz
Please note that students must successfully complete each unit/course in order to progress to the next.
Recommended Courses: We recommend that students complete a SuperHost and WHMIS course prior to completion of the Cosmetology program.