Heavy Duty Equipment Technicians overhaul, repair and service equipment such as graders, loaders, shovels, tractors, trucks, forklifts, drills, and wheeled and tracked vehicles. Working from manufacturer specifications, they identify and repair problems in structural, mechanical, or hydraulic systems.
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Inter-Provincial Red Seal Program.
If a student currently works as a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician and has an employer who will provide on-the-job training, the student is eligible to enroll in Apprenticeship training. An Apprenticeship is a three-party agreement between the Apprentice, the employer, and the Industry Training Authority.
Students receive training according to the provincial Apprenticeship curriculum, as established by the Industry Training Authority of British Columbia, pertinent to the Apprenticeship level in which the student is enrolled. Upon successful completion of all four levels and appropriate time in the trade, the student may be eligible to write the applicable Inter-Provincial exam.
Heavy Duty Vehicle Sales or Parts Person, Parts or Sales Manager, Business or Dealership Owner, College Instructor, Mechanical Engineer.
Location: Fort St. John Campus
Length: Six weeks per level
Start: Current Apprenticeship level program schedule
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
- Registered Apprentice with the Industry Training Authority;
- Proof of successful completion of related Foundation Trades Training program.
- Successful completion of Module 1 program/examination;
- Completion of Module 1 exemption form by employer.
- Successful completion of previous level Apprenticeship Technical Training;
- Successful challenge of previous level Industry Training Authority Placement Exam.
- The program is not eligible for Canada Student Loans.
- Students must provide safety equipment, including footwear having CSA safety-toe protection and CSA safety glasses with clear lenses.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Apprenticeship program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Stacy Smith
Program Instructor: Ed Ditner
Apprenticeship Contact: Department