Millwrights dismantle, move, install, change layout, set-up, repair, overhaul and maintain all machinery and heavy mechanical equipment, including power shafting, pulleys, conveyors and hoists. They work from plans and blueprints and install equipment using hand tools, power tools, and hoisting equipment. Millwrights use grinders and lathes to make customized parts and construct machinery foundations.
Millwright is designated as Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) under the Inter-Provincial Red Seal program.
If a student is just starting training, or has been unable to secure employment in industry as a Millwright, enrolling in a Foundation Trades Training program is a viable option prior to entering into an Apprenticeship.
The Millwright Foundation Level 1 (Enhanced) program consists of Level 1 technical training in addition to practical and essential skills related to the Millwright (Industrial Mechanic) Apprenticeship program. Successful graduates receive Level 1 technical training credit and 425 work-based hours credit towards completion of the Millwright Apprenticeship program.
Excellent opportunities exist in the local and regional industry for Millwrights, including repair shops, plants, construction sites, mines, logging operations, ski hills and most production and manufacturing facilities.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 13 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
- Grade 10 English or Career and College Preparation ENGL030 (Intermediate/Grade 10); and
- Grade 10 Math (Applications, or Principles, or Apprenticeship and Workplace) or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10), both with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
- Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace), both with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
- Scheduled enrollment in Grade 11 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace).
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Students must provide safety equipment, including footwear having CSA safety-toe protection and CSA safety glasses with clear lenses.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Millwright Foundation Level 1 (Enhanced) program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Mark Heartt
Program Instructor: Walter Sorokovsky