The Oil and Gas Field Operations program was developed at the request of local industry to address present and projected shortages of skilled workers in this field. Students are trained to become professional and technically knowledgeable individuals for the oil and gas industry. Oil and gas production operators are in high demand in the oil and gas industry, and are considered essential personnel to keep the industry running.
Production field operator.
Location: Fort St. John Campus
Length: 18 weeks
Start: September and February
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
- Grade 10 English or Career and College Preparation ENGL030 (Intermediate/Grade 10); and
- Grade 10 Math (Applications, or Principles, or Apprenticeship and Workplace) or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10), both with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 10.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
- Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace), both with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
- Scheduled enrollment in Grade 11 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace).
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- The program is affiliated with the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
- If a student already possesses a valid ticket in any of the required safety courses (listed below), and can provide proof of its validity through to the program's end date, s/he will not be required to enrol in that particular course. Should this occur, the cost of the course(s) will be reimbursed from the overall tuition.
- Students must provide safety equipment, including footwear having CSA safety-toe protection and winter wear.
- NLC will provide students with the following items: hardhat, set of earplugs, pair of gloves, safety glasses, and coveralls.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Oil and Gas Field Operator program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Stacy Smith
Program Instructor: Terry Beaton
Required safety courses are scheduled during class time throughout the four modules. If a student already possesses a valid ticket in any of these courses, and can provide proof of its validity through to the program's end date, s/he will not be required to enrol in that particular course. Should this occur, the cost of the course(s) will be reimbursed from the overall tuition.
Course outlines for WFTR 147 and WFTR 338 are not available.