Welding is a competency-based program, with extensive focus on the hands-on practical skills used in the workplace. The Welding program contains sets of industry-defined skills against which students are assessed. Welders use manual or semi-automatic welding, flame-cutting, brazing and soldering equipment to fuse metal. Students receive training according to provincial Apprenticeship curriculum.
A Welder Level B is capable of welding ferrous and non-ferrous metals in all positions, on both plate and/or pipe, using SMAW, GTAW and FCAW processes. Level B Welders qualify to take the Prequalified Welding Procedure (PWP) tests in British Columbia.
Welders may specialize in certain types of welding such as custom fabrication, ship building and repair, pressure vessel welding, pipeline construction welding, structural construction welding or machinery and equipment repair welding.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 12 weeks (approximate)
Start: September or February
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
- Registered C Level Welder,
- Proof of logbook containing C Level stamp.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Students requiring additional time to complete must make arrangements with their instructor and pay for additional weeks.
- Students must provide the following tools:
- Metal tool pail (max 10-inch diameter) or small toolbox with tote tray
- Clear CSA approved safety glasses
- High top steel-toe CSA approved leather work boots
- Padlock for locker
- 12-foot metric/imperial tape measure
- Arc welding helmet
- Two pairs of welder gloves
- One-piece oxy-acetylene goggles
- Tri-flint spark lighter
- Tip cleaners
- Small metal protractor
- Welder’s leather jacket or cape sleeves
- 100% cotton overalls (bib or full)
- #10R straight jaw vice grip
- 10-inch crescent wrench
- 1.5 pound, 24-ounce fibreglass handle ball peen hammer
- 12-inch STT metric/imperial combination square
- Centre punch
- Cold chisel 1/2 inch
- 10-inch slip joint pliers
- Mig pliers
- 1/2 RD Pipeliner NCH 14-inch file with handle
- 45/90-degree magnet
- Welding brush
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Welding Level B Modular program
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Mark Heartt
Program Instructor: William Smith
Plus one of the following: WELD 210 is a requirement to proceed to 'A' Level Welding