NLC Accepts the Duolingo English Test
As an interim measure for international applicants unable to access an IELTS testing centre, NLC will accept the Duolingo English Test for selected programs for applicants applying to the Fall 2020, Winter 2021, and Spring 2021 intakes.
See the Duolingo Admission Table for eligible programs and requirements.
Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who are applying for admission into the following programs must meet one of the following criteria in order to be admitted:
Academic and Career Programs
- Graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or
- Completion of standing equivalent to graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or
- Deficient in no more than two courses from a B.C. secondary school graduation, which, if available, must be completed while attending College, or
- For certain programs, acceptable by special arrangement in view of the applicant’s experience, maturity, or ability.
Career and College Preparation/Upgrading Programs
- Seventeen years of age, and out of school for at least one year, or by special arrangement with the School District, or
- 18 years or older
- There is no maximum age for Career and College Preparation.
Vocational and Dual Credit Programs
- Grade 10 completion for many programs; however, some programs require Grade 11 or 12 with specific prerequisite course completion.
Early Childhood Education and Care / Education Assistant
- For admission purposes, a mature student is one who is over the age of 19 years, and who has been out of school for at least one year. Adults are encouraged to apply even if they do not meet specified admission prerequisites since other factors, such as maturity and work experience, may be considered.
- If you do not meet minimum educational requirements for a desired program you may enter Career and College Preparation (Upgrading) programs to upgrade your skills for the program of your choice. Students must provide official secondary school or post-secondary transcripts to indicate successful completion of admission prerequisites for programs.