The Explore Trades for Youth course introduces students in grades 9 - 12 (primary focus is grades 10 and 11) to a variety of trades paths available at NLC. Students have the opportunity to sample various trades in order to make an informed choice. They will gain a clearer understanding of the standards, materials, instructional methods and academic performance associated with a trade, before commiting to a classic dual credit or apprenticeship educational pathway. This course provides a well aligned entry point into the Dual Credit Trades and Apprenticeship training opportunities available at Northern Lights College. Students will be introduced to 5 trades including, but not limited to, Carpentry, Mechanics, Plumbing, Electrical Professional Cook and Welding, and will participate in the BC Secondary School level Work Experience (WEX) program through their local school district to complete a 2 week work practicum.
Location: Any campus with sufficient enrolment
Length: 12 weeks / 300 hours
Start: Sept - Nov / Feb - May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Currently enrolled in Grades 9-12
- The program is affiliated with SD59, SD60, SD81 and the ITA
- The program is NOT eligible for Canada Student Loans.
- CSA approved steel toed safety boots
- Students are required to have a computer (PC or laptop) with minimum computer requirements as listed on the NLC website (www.nlc.bc.ca/Services/InformationTechnology/minPC).
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Youth Explore Trades program.
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org