This course will provide the student with an overview of the field of early childhood education and the early childhood professional. This includes the study of provincial legislation and resources, code of ethics, professionalism, program models, history, and current educational trends in the field of Early Childhood Education.
Hours: 45 (Lecture Hours: 45)
Criminal Record Check Schedule B works with “children” or works with “children and vulnerable adults." Admission to the Early Childhood Education and Care Diploma Program.
1. Types of childcare programs within British Columbia
2. Diverse program and curriculum models
3. Defining quality in the early childhood profession.
4. Reasons why being an early childhood educator is a meaningful profession.
5. Characteristics of the early childhood education work environment.
5. History and roots of early childhood education in Canada
6. Governing bodies and guiding organizations within early childhood education.
7. Understanding the role of advocacy to influence social policy concerning the early childhood profession and professional.
8. The BC Early Learning Framework
9. BC Licensing Regulations and ECEBC Code of Ethics
10. ECE as a profession and essential service.
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this course the student will:
1. Comprehend the historical perspective, role, purpose, and growth of early childhood education and care.
2. Identify and describe various types of programs and program models in early childhood education and care.
3. Define quality in early childhood education and care programs
4. Develop understanding of early childhood education provincially in terms of: licensing, staff qualifications, group size ratios, centre size, and programming.
5. Research provincial licensing regulations and online resources governing and supporting childcare programs and educators.
6. Describe the needs and diversity among children, families, society, and the educator; as well as their interrelationship.
7. Describe how early childhood education is a profession and essential service worth investing in.
8. Understand the purpose of the BC Early Learning Framework and use it to shape professional practice.
9. Understand the role of the professional early childhood educator
Grading System: Letter Grades
Passing Grade: C (60%)
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current books lists.