This course offers supervised practical experience and involvement with children in a classroom setting. Emphasis is on beginning competencies that are fundamental to quality education, guidance, and development of children. Observing development, guiding and caring skills, and child-centred instruction skills will be addressed. Collaboration skills for working within the classroom will also be explored.
Hours: 130 (Seminars and Tutorials: 10; Practicum Hours: 120)
HDEC 100, HDEC 101, EDAS 141A and EDAS 145
Admission into the Education Assistant Program, Ministry of Justice Schedule B CRC (works with children)
- Themes: professionalism, observing and recording, reflective practice.
- Concepts: self-assessment, professional development, code of ethics, confidentiality, professionalism, protocols and policies, roles and responsibilities, professional standards, networking/team building, record keeping, legislation, abuse/neglect, professional and personal boundaries.
- Skills: think critically, think creatively, observe, record objectively, synthesize experiences, analyze situations / experiences, self-assess, receive feedback, reflect and adapt, communicate clearly – orally and in writing, set goals, work on a team, choose and apply appropriate support strategies, recommend/access appropriate support services, advocate for social justice and self determination, identify and maintain personal and professional boundaries.
OVERARCHING LEARNING OUTCOME:
The intention of this course is to offer students the opportunity to work with exceptional students as part of an educational team. A student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
- Integrate his/her theoretical knowledge with practical experience in order to work effectively with students with special needs
SPECIFIC LEARNING OUTCOMES:
A student who successfully completes this course will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Establish effective relationships with children and/or adults
- Use positive strategies to guide children’s behaviour
- Work effectively as a team member
- Communicate in a caring, respectful and clear manner
- Practice in an ethical and professional manner
- Accurately assess the quality of own performance
Grading System: Pass/Fail
Passing Grade: 60% competency required in assignments and practicum work to Pass the course.
Text Books: Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.