Electricians plan, design, assemble, install, alter, repair, inspect, verify, commission, connect, operate, maintain and decommission electrical systems. Electrical systems provide heating, lighting, power, alarm, security, communication and control in residential, commercial, institutional, industrial, transportation, marine and entertainment environments. Students will learn and apply the skills required to meet the Level 1 ITA Outcomes for the trade.
Hours: 300 (Lecture Hours:276; Shop/Teaching Kitchen: 24)
Total Weeks: 10
Eligibility as indicated by the Industry Training Authority
Apply circuit concepts:
- Use electrical circuit concepts
- Analyze DC circuits
- Analyze principles of magnetism
- Analyze electronic circuits
Perform safety related functions:
- Use personal protection equipment
- Maintain safe work environment
- Perform lock-out and tag-out procedures
Use tools and equipment:
- Use measuring and testing equipment
- Interpret plans, drawings and specifications
- Use Canadian electrical code
Use communication and mentoring techniques:
- Use mentoring techniques
Install and maintain consumer/supply services and metering equipment:
- Install single-phase consumer/supply services and metering equipment
- Maintain single-phase services and metering equipment
Install and maintain protection devices:
- Install ground fault, arc fault and surge protection devices
Install and maintain low voltage distribution systems:
- Install low voltage distribution equipment
Install and maintain bonding, grounding and ground fault detection systems:
- Install grounding and bonding systems
Install and maintain raceways, cables and enclosures:
- Install conductors and cables
- Install raceways, boxes and fittings
Install and maintain branch circuitry
- Install luminaires
- Install wiring devices
- Install lighting controls
- Install lighting standards
Install and maintain communication systems:
- Install voice/data/video systems10
This course follows the prescribed ITA Provincial curriculum for Electrician Level 1. This document can be found in its most current form at:http://www.itabc.ca/program/electrician-construction
Knowledge: Use initiative to identify tasks.
Attitudes: Use time respectfully and productively
Technologies: Demonstrate effective use of digital access to information.
Skills: Select and use appropriate tools.
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 70%
Percentage of Individual Work: 70
Percentage of Group Work: 30
- All Students will sign and adhere to the Trades and Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Rules and Regulatory Practices for Students Policy.
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.