This course provides students with both theory and hands-on training in Esthetics and Spa Therapy fundamentals. Students will learn the necessary skills to provide excellent client care while maintaining a safe, hygienic environment which surpasses industry standards and regulations.
The course also integrates the basic principles of anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry and sanitation practices. In addition, students will learn consultation skills, identify skin concerns and recommend proper home care for their clients.
The extensive practical training of this course will include client service, spa operations, spa manicures and pedicures, gel polish and overlays, waxing, lash and brow services, skincare, facials and a variety of other skills and techniques.
Hours: 455 (Lecture Hours: 155; Laboratory: 300)
Introduction to Esthetics and Spa Therapy
Anatomy and physiology
Skin diseases and disorders
Skin science and facials
Nail anatomy and disorders
Manicures and Pedicures
Gel polish and overlays
Eyelash and eyebrow treatments
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- explain and demonstrate the skills required to be a professional Esthetician and Spa Therapist
- identify and apply ethical standards for the spa workplace
- identify and recommend services to meet client needs
- identify proper infection control and perform all services in a safe and hygienic manner
- describe human anatomy and how it applies to a beauty therapist
- describe the actions and ingredients in cosmetic products
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of relevant electrical equipment
- describe and identify skin types, common skin diseases and disorders
- provide facials and skin care according to skin types
- describe and identify nail anatomy and disorders
- perform manicures and pedicures using regular and gel polish
- recommend proper home care practices to meet client needs
- perform basic waxing techniques
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 70%
Text Books: Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.