This course integrates the concepts from previous professional practice courses and introduces learners to practice in the community. The role of the Practical Nurse as leader is emphasized in interactions with clients and their families, and other health care providers.
Hours: 20 (Lecture Hours: 20)
APNP 130, APNP 131, APNP 132, APNP 133, APNP 134, APNP 135, APNP 136
- OR - PNUR 110, PNUR 111, PNUR 112, PNUR 113, PNUR 114, PNUR 115, PNUR 116, PNUR 120, PNUR 120, PNUR 121, PNUR 122, PNUR 123, PNUR 124, PNUR 125, PNUR 126
PNUR 230, PNUR 232, PNUR 233, PNUR 235
Detailed Course Content, Topics and Sequence Covered: Course Outcomes will be met through examination and exploration of the following:
- Legislation influencing PN practice in the context of community care
- PN Professional Practice
- PN Ethical Practice
- Leadership in PN Practice
- Interprofessional practice
- Diversity in PN practice
- Cultural Safety
Upon successful completion of this course the learner will be able to:1. Compare and contrast how legislation, professional standards, code of ethics and practice expectations influence the continuum of care in community mental health care services
2. Identify and explain professional self-regulation and the implication for individual responsibilities and accountability of the Practical Nurse in the continuum of care
3. Explain and evaluate the influence of interprofessional collaborative relationships on a quality practice environment
4. Consider the roles of other health care providers in determining one’s own professional and interprofessional roles
5. Demonstrate the ability to access and assess current, relevant professional practice resources to prepare for nursing practice in community settings
6. Explain the professional and legal responsibility of fostering community partnerships, ensuring cultural safety, and inclusivity.
7. Apply and evaluate ethical decision making to ethical dilemmas in nursing practice of clients from across the lifespan in community settings.
8. Demonstrate self-reflection and reflective journal writing to enhance learning and nursing practice
9. Explain the importance of self-care strategies for nurses
Grading System: Percentage
Passing Grade: 68%
Textbooks are subject to change. Please contact the bookstore at your local campus for current book lists.