Applied Business Technology students are trained for entry-level administrative positions in a variety of businesses or industries. Students specialize in one of three streams: Administrative Assistant, Financial Assistant or Office Assistant. Each stream includes a practicum placement as part of the program. There are three exit points, depending on the stream chosen.
Students in the Office Assistant program train in the use of the current software packages used in the business world, with a focus on written communications and administrative procedures. The program runs from September to February. Students utilize Microsoft 2013 software.
Responsible entry-level positions, including: Receptionist/Switchboard, Office Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, and Records Management Clerk.
Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John campuses
Length: 23 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent, from the previous five years, indicating successful completion of:
- Grade 11 English, or Grade 11 Communications, or Career and College Preparation ENGL040 (Advanced/Grade 11); and
- Grade 10 Math, or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10).
- Complete the following sections Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 11.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Permission of the Dean of the program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Basic computer and Internet knowledge is advisable including: how to turn on/off a computer; how to open a program; how to save a file; and a preferred 15wpm keyboard speed or a minimum knowledge of the keys (and their location) on a keyboard.
- The information provided here is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Applied Business Technology – Office Assistant program
Do you need more information?
Dean: Steve Roe