This program consists of Foundation and Level 1 Automotive Service Technician Technical training as per the ITA prescribed curriculum. This program meets the ITA prerequisite for Level 2 technical training. Automotive Service Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Interprovincial Red Seal program.
Automotive Service Technicians examine, test and repair the parts and systems on cars and light trucks. They often use computerized diagnostic equipment to test, adjust and repair key vehicle components such as engines, steering systems, braking systems, drive trains, vehicle suspensions and electrical systems. The work of an Automotive Service Technician also involves reassembling and testing repaired items against manufacturers' standards, as well as performing preventative maintenance such as wheel alignments, oil changes and tune-ups.
Successful completion of the Automotive Service Technician Foundation Program results in the student acquiring credit for Level 1 AST technical training and 450 work-based hours, and eligibility to move into Level 2 Apprenticeship training once they have a sponsor.
There is Reading week included in this program that will occur in the last week of February of every year (exact dates will vary).
Students can find employment as Automotive Service Technicians, Automotive Dealership Service Managers, Automotive Salespersons, or Automotive Business or Dealership Owners.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus
Length: Approximately 33 weeks/990 hrs
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Math – one of the following:
BC Math 10 (minimum final grade of C+), or BC Math 11 or BC Math 12 (minimum final grade of C), or equivalent.
MATH 030 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
English – one of the following:
BC Language Arts 10 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC Language Arts 11 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC Language Arts 12 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
ENGL 030 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
IELTS score of 5.5 overall with no band less than 5.0 or equivalent English placement test and score.
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with a minimum final grade of 67%.
Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher|
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
Based on the results of the assessment(s), applicants may be required to participate in an assessment interview to determine admissibility. Interviews may be conducted virtually if necessary.
Successful completion of the NLC POWER program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Students are required to have a computer (PC or laptop) with minimum computer requirements as listed on the NLC website (www.nlc.bc.ca/Services/Information-Technology/minPC).
- Students must provide Personal protective equipment (safety glasses, steel-toed boots, gloves, coveralls, etc.)
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority and School District 59, School District 60, School District 81 and School District 87.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide (effective Sept 2022) approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide
APPLY NOW for the Automotive Service Technician Foundation program in Dawson Creek
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: email@example.com