This program consists of Foundation Trades Training and Level 1 Apprenticeship. Students will learn to examine, test and repair the parts and systems on cars and light trucks, and use computerized diagnostic equipment to test, adjust and repair key vehicle components such as engines, steering systems, braking systems, drive trains, vehicle suspensions and electrical systems.
They will learn to reassemble and test repaired items against manufacturer's standards, as well as perform preventative maintenance such as wheel alignments, oil changes and tune-ups.
Automotive Service Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Interprovincial Red Seal program. Individuals who complete the Automotive Service Technician Foundation Program will receive 450 work-based hours credit toward completion of the Automotive Service Technician Level 1 Apprenticeship program.
Automotive Service Technician, Automotive Dealership Service Manager, Automotive Sales, or Automotive Business or Dealership Owner.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus
Length: 32 weeks/980 hrs
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts OR equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Intermediate/Grade 10) with C+ or higher, OR ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+ or higher, OR ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher;
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
Based on the results of the assessment(s), applicants may be required to participate in an assessment interview to determine admissibility. Interview may be conducted via teleconference if necessary.
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10) with C+ or higher.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Students must provide Personal protective equipment (safety glasses, steel-toed boots, gloves, coveralls, etc.)
Students are required to sign and adhere to the Trades & Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Policy.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority and School District 59, School District 60, School District 81 and School District 87.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- The information on the page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide
APPLY NOW for the Automotive Service Technician Foundation program in Dawson Creek
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org