The Professional Cook program follows ITA prescribed course curriculum for direct entry to Professional Cook 3. Learners will perform all phases of kitchen activities including the preparation and presentation of vegetables, soups, sauces, meat, fish and poultry; cold kitchen items; desserts, baking, pastry; basic menu planning/costing as well as knowledge of safety, sanitation and food storage. Learners will also gain valuable knowledge of human and customer relations which will enable them to become leaders in their field.
Learners complete their final level of study working under limited supervision and gain competency in the major techniques and principles of cooking, baking and other aspects of food preparation. Upon successful completion of the six-week level 3 component, students will be eligible to write the Inter-Provincial exam. Successful completion of this examination, along with the practical and work-based hours required, will grant the learner a Red Seal Journeyperson status that is globally recognized in this industry. For more information about Inter-Provincial Standard Endorsement (Red Seal) visit www.red-seal.ca
Professional Cooks work in a variety of settings including: camps, institutional kitchens, family restaurants, hotels, cruise ships, ferry boats, resorts, nursing homes, hospitals, catering operations, and airlines.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 6 weeks
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Successful completion of PCOI 201 or equivalent as indicated by the Industry Training Authority.
After being accepted into the program but before classes begin, students will be required to provide proof of the following certifications:
• Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
• Occupational First Aid - Level 1
• FoodSafe Level 1
* All certificates must be valid for the term of the program. Failure to provide proof may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- The program is not eligible for Canada Student Loans.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority, Go 2 (Industry Training Organization who monitors all hospitality type industry training for ITA), Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, and School Districts 59 and 60.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the current Program Completion Guide
APPLY NOW for the Professional Cook 3 Direct Entry program
Do you need more information?
Associate Dean: Robert McAleney
Program Instructor: Michael French