Cosmetologists provide personal care services that include caring for people’s hair, skin and nails. Professionals employed in the cosmetology industry include hairstylists, barbers and estheticians. This diploma program takes students through the Esthetics group of skin and nail treatments, and Hairstylist training. The Hairstylist and Esthetics programs are each approximately 32 weeks in length and are combined with a professional portfolio at the end which to make up the 2-year diploma in Cosmetology.
Hairstylist and Esthetics both begin every September. Once a student completes one of the programs, they can proceed to the next in the second year (the order is not important).
Both programs have large practical components where students will spend time working in the NLC salons. Students will have theory, salon operations training and hands-on salon client days where they practice the skills they are learning in class.
Esthetics includes training in facials, body massage, body treatments, aromatherapy, makeup artistry, waxing and tinting.
Hairstylist training covers the Industry Training Authority (ITA) certified apprenticeship programming including haircuts, styling, shampoo and scalp treatments, as well as chemically treating hair using colour and permanent wave solutions.
Throughout both these two programs, students will be working on their professional portfolio and at end they will produce a capstone project which will combine the two disciplines into a final project.
A career in cosmetology can lead to a variety of professions in the beauty industry, including:
hairstylist, nail technician, salon or spa manager, beautician, wedding and event stylist, makeup artist, esthetician, cosmetic sales representative, instructor or beauty columnist. As with any profession, the opportunities can lead to a varied career.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus
Length: Approx. 64 weeks /1931 hours
Start: See Trades Schedule
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Advanced/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+ or higher.
• Grade 10 Science, or Science 030, with C+ or higher
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Science: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English, Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), Grade 10 Science all with C+ or higher.
International an IELTS 5.5 no score less than 5. “Other English language tests may be accepted by decision of the Dean, in consultation with the International Education Department and the Office of the Registrar”.
Completion of NLC's Certificate in Hairstylist Foundation program
Completion of NLC's Certificate in Esthetics program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Basic equipment kits for both hairstyling and for esthetics is provided to each student at the beginning of each part of the two programs. These kits include tools necessary for each program.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority and SD 59, 60, 81 and 87.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide
APPLY NOW for the Cosmetology program
Do you need more information?
HAIR 101 Hairstylist Fundamentals
HAIR 102 Hairstylist Salon Operations
COSM 101 Hairstylist Portfolio
ESTH 105 Esthetics and Spa Therapy 1
ESTH 115 Esthetics and Spa Therapy 2
COSM 102 Esthetics Portfolio
COSM 250 Cosmetology Capstone