University Arts and Sciences-Indigenous Human Service Worker Certificate

Program intakes are arranged through sponsored, contract delivery.
For more information, please contact Lisa Verbisky ( or Steve Roe (

hands holding together

Program Description

This program will prepare graduates for employment as a Human Service Worker, with a focus on serving Indigenous people on or off a reserve. Students will acquire culturally appropriate knowledge, skills, and values while working with individuals, groups, and communities. Indigenous Human Service Worker (IHSW) Certificate graduates will earn course credits that can be applied to NLC's Early Childhood Education and Care Diploma, Education Assistant Diploma, and Social Service Worker Diploma. Conversely, graduates from these diploma programs may apply relevant course credits to completion of the IHSW Certificate.

Career Prospects

Band Social Worker, Community Wellness Worker, National Native Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program (NNADAP) Workers, Aboriginal Patient Liaison Worker or Aboriginal Patient Navigator (APN), Native Courtworker, Youth and Cultural Worker, Cultural Connections Coordinator, Aboriginal Support Workers. Certificate graduates may also ladder into NLC's Early Childhood Education and Care, Education Assistant, and Social Services Worker diploma programs.


Location: Fort St. John campus with the possibility of additional video-conference sites and some online delivery.
Sponsored offerings at other locations may be available upon request.

Length: Normally, 8 months (32 weeks) for full-time study. Part-time study may be an option. Length of program may vary for sponsored intakes.

Start: To be determined. Requests for sponsored intakes may be sent to the Program Contact or Program Dean.

Fees: Current Fee Schedule

Need upgrading first? Start with NLC’s Career and College Preparation program.

Admission Prerequisites

A. Standard admissions requirements are as follows:
Grade 12 English, English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples, English 050, or English 099 with a minimum grade of "C."
Or any university-level English course with a minimum grade of "C."
Or adequate performance on the NLC Writing Assessment.
B. In lieu of satisfying Item A above, dual credit students may submit secondary school transcripts indicating successful completion of English 11 and enrollment in an acceptable Grade-12-level English course with a minimum interim grade of "C."
Note: A Schedule B (Works with: Children & Vulnerable Adults) CRC is not a program admission requirement, but NLC must receive Schedule B (Works with: Children & Vulnerable Adults) CRC results before IHSW Certificate students begin attending classes in the first semester of the program. Information about the Schedule B CRC process will be presented at a pre-semester program orientation. Requests for Schedule B (Works with: Children & Vulnerable Adults) CRCs may take up to six weeks, so students are strongly encouraged to attend to this post-admission requirement as soon as possible. Please note that convictions for certain offenses may disqualify students from participating in course practica with vulnerable persons. Further, students are obligated to report any Schedule B criminal convictions that occur after they authorize a CRC but are still enrolled in the IHSW program. Failure to do so may result in immediate dismissal from the program

Important Notes

  1. The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.  Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
  2. The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Guide

APPLY NOW for the University Arts and Sciences - Indigenous Human Service Worker Certificate

Do you need more information?
Program Contact: Lisa Verbisky


Semester 1:

Semester 2: