Transfer credit is when one post-secondary institution recognizes education completed at another. This allows students to use the credits already earned at one institution to meet some of the requirements at another institution. Check out the BC Transfer Guide for more information about transferring credits within BC and from some out-of-province institutions.
At NLC, students typically request transfer credit to satisfy admission requirements, course requisites, and/or some graduation requirements for an NLC credential.
Transfer credit is not automatic. To request transfer credit, you must:
1. Have already applied for admission to an NLC program or currently be attending an NLC program.
2. Submit a Transfer Credit Request form.
- Please submit a separate form for each institution you are requesting transfer credit from.
- Completed forms can be handed in at Campus Services or emailed to email@example.com.
3. Pay the transfer credit request fee, if applicable.
- Transfer credit requests for courses taken at a BC public post-secondary institution are free.
- Transfer credit requests for courses taken at out-of-province or international institutions are subject to a $20.00/transcript fee.
4. Submit official transcripts from each institution.
- Transcripts must be official and come directly from its source to NLC.
- Transcripts can be sent by mail or in some cases by XML electronic exchange by the sending institution. Transcripts may also be hand delivered to NLC in a sealed envelope that is only opened by staff in the NLC Registrar’s office.
- Only official transcripts will be considered for final decisions on transfer credit, but NLC may accept un-official transcript to assist with pre-evaluation of transfer credit.
5. Submit official course outlines or syllabi, if applicable.
- For courses or credentials not listed in the BC Transfer Guide, NLC will require official course outlines or syllabi. The reviewing officer will advise you if this is needed once we receive your official transcript and Transfer Credit Request form.
Transfer credit evaluation will take up to three months (12 weeks) once all required documents have been received. You will receive an official notification from the Office of the Registrar with the outcome of your request. Please note that transferral of credits is not guaranteed.
Please note that NLC will not refund tuition or penalties if students choose to enroll in courses they have applied for transfer credit for.
Additional regulations apply to transfer credit. Please see the current Academic Calendar for details.
Prior Learning Assessment
NLC offers prospective students prior learning assessment on selected courses generally through a course challenge.
Students in the ECE or EA programs should contact the program chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.