The T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate is a tax form that certifies eligibile education amounts that can be claimed on an income tax return. They are issued to eligible students who paid tuition fees for qualifying courses. Visit Canada Revenue Agency for further information about the eligibility of fees and amounts.
NLC issues these forms by February 28 each year, listing the eligible amounts paid in the preceeding calendar year. Students access their T2202 forms via their secure Borealis login.
- Starting in the 2020 tax year, schools now required to file $0 amount on form T2202 for students who have not paid their tuition fees.
- Starting in the 2019 tax year, the old T2202A (Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate) is replaced by the T2202 (Tuition and Enrolment Certificate).
- Starting in the 2019 tax year, all Canadian colleges and universities are required to collect Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) and include them on the T2202s filed with the Canada Revenue Agency. The Government of Canada provides information about authorized federal use of the SIN.
Your Social Insurance Number
In January or February each year, NLC will send an email to all eligible students requesting that you provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN) for your T2202. NLC also collects SIN from students for T4A Statements. If your SIN is already on file with NLC, we will ask that you verify it is correct.
When you recceive this email from NLC, you need to:
- Log into Borealis.
- Select Social Insurance Number (SIN) Information
- If you previously provided your SIN, verify that it is correct.
- If you haven't previously provided your SIN, click the Pencil icon on the right-hand side of the page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to submit your SIN
How to access your T2202
Your T2202 Certificate form will be available for you to download online through your Borealis login by February 28 each year. You can also obtain copies of your T2202 and/or T2202A from previous tax years online.
If you need assistance logging into Borealis, please call us at 1-866-463-6652. If you have questions about your T2202, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To access your tax forms:
- Log into Borealis.
- Select T2202 Student Tax Forms
- Click on the Tax Year that you want.
- The tax form will open as a PDF that you may save or print.