If you were an international student and have now obtained your Permanent Residency or Canadian Citizenship, you may request an update to the citizenship status on your NLC student record.
A change in citizenship status may impact your tuition rate. Tuition rate changes are not retroactive, application fees are non-refundable, and admission deposits or tuition over-payments that result from a change in citizenship status will not be refunded until after the add/drop period.
Who may request a citizenship status update?
You may request an update to your citizenship status if you are attending NLC as an international student and have been issued a Canadian Passport, Permanent Resident (PR) Card, Confirmation of Permanent Residence/Landing Papers, or other official documentation confirming you no longer require a visa to study at NLC.
When can you request a citizenship status update?
You can request an update to your citizenship status at anytime. However, changes in domestic status (and billing) will only be made up to the end of the add/drop period for the current term/intake. After the add/drop date, domestic status will be implemented effective for the next semester/intake.
Students that have been away from NLC for over 1 year, must re-apply and should include a copy of their permanent residence status with their application. Their new status will take effect with their admission.
How to request a citizenship status update
- Read and complete the Citizenship Status Change Request Form.
- Attach clear copies of your supporting documentation to the form.
- Submit the form to Campus Services (in person or by email to StudentHelp@nlc.bc.ca)
What happens after I submit my request?
Requests may take up to 10 business days to process.
When you submit your request:
- Campus Services will review your form and supporting documentation to confirm that it is complete.
- Your request will be sent to the Associate Registrar, who will confirm whether your citizenship status is eligible to be updated in your NLC student record.
- If applicable, your status will be updated.
- If applicable, your tuition rate will be changed.
- You will receive an email advising you of the outcome of your request.