Message From the Dean
Northern Lights College campuses are fortunate to be located in the northern Rockies and Peace River District - the heart of several proposed resource ‘mega’ development projects such as Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) and the BC Hydro Site C Clean Energy Project.
With such a strong resource economy already in place, these are exciting times for the region as employment opportunities are both diverse and numerous, and anticipated to continue to grow in the years to come.
Northern Lights College works very closely with our industry partners to ensure our programming is relevant and meets the demands of current and anticipated labour demands. This allows many of our students to move directly into the work force after completing their programs for well-paying positions and fulfilling opportunities.
Northern Lights College instructors are dedicated and experienced, knowledgeable and supportive. They have worked successfully in industry and have proven that they have the expertise to train individuals for the job demands in Northeastern BC, nationally and beyond.
I invite you to Northern Lights College to experience firsthand the opportunities that are available to you. I look forward to meeting you, and seeing our College play an important role in your continued success.
Dean of Trades and Apprenticeship
Industry-driven Training Through Consultation
Northern Lights College has been offering Trades and Apprenticeship training for more than 40 years. Students in our programs receive high quality instruction, great service, and a solid foundation on which to build their career in the trades.
Why choose Northern Lights College for Trades and Apprenticeship programs?
- Small classes and well-trained instructors who have industry experience. The excellent student-to-faculty ratio at NLC gives you more direct contact with your instructors than at other institutions.
- NLC is an Industry Training Authority (ITA) approved training provider for many of our trades programs in the Interprovincial (Red Seal) trade.
- The shortage of qualified workers in northern British Columbia means our graduates leave with skills for immediate, well-paid employment.
- The wide range of trades and technology programs available at NLC reflect the demands of regional industry and business.
At NLC, we offer:
- Apprenticeship Training: Do you have an employer willing to sponsor you as a registered Apprentice? You can start and complete all levels of Apprenticeship training at NLC in your chosen trade.
- Foundation Trades Training: If you are new to a trade area, or do not have an employer sponsor, NLC Foundation programs provide you the knowledge and training you need to find employment.
- Technical/Vocational Trades Training: NLC offers several trades training programs that have been developed in conjunction with industry and training partners to meet the current needs of industry, so that you can step directly into the workplace.
- Dual Credit Programs: Are you a secondary school student in School District 59, 60 or 81 who is looking to get an early start on your Trades and Apprenticeship training. If you meet the entrance prerequisites, you could complete your Foundation training and be ready to enter the workforce prior to or at the same time you complete secondary school.
The Hub for BC's Public Trades Training Programs & Services
Dean, Trades and Apprenticeship
Trades Support Clerk,
Dawson Creek Campus
Associate Dean, Trades and Apprenticeship
Trades Support Clerk,
Fort St. John Campus
– Aircraft Maintenance Engineering