FORT NELSON – Several Northern Lights College students at the Fort Nelson Campus have earned awards, scholarships and bursaries.
The awards were presented to more than 20 students during the annual Convocation ceremonies held at the Phoenix Theatre in Fort Nelson. The total value of awards presented to students at the Fort Nelson Campus during the 2009-10 school year totaled more than $11,000.
Gary Brown was named as the recipient of the Lieutenant-Governor Silver Medal Award. That award recognizes students registered in a vocational or career program of less than two years duration. The recipient must have excelled in his or her studies, and contributed in a positive way to College life or the community.
Some of the awards are memorial awards. Other awards are sponsored by community groups, businesses, and individuals. Awards are administered by the NLC Foundation.
For more information on the NLC Foundation, check the NLC website at nlc.bc.ca, or contact Donna Kane at 250-784-7613 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award recipients were:
· Cecelia Sheppard (Commitment to Education Award; Nikki
MacDonald Memorial Award; Northern Rockies Regional
· Sandy Mishaud (Academic Excellence Award; Northern
Institute for Resource Studies Award; Alma Van Dusen Award)
· Carol Kenny (Academic Excellence Award; Fort Nelson Campus
Staff and Alumni Award)
· Madeline Burke (Eh-Cho Dene Enterprises Award; Fort Nelson
First Nations Award)
· Lexcee Picul (Fort Nelson Rotary Club Award; M. Keith Lutsiak
Business Management Award)
· Sharon Shonert (Lucille Sutherland Award; NLC Student Association and Council Award)
· Pamela MacDonald (Johnny Tashoots Memorial Award; BC Hydro Award)· Angie Bell (NLC Student
Association and Council Award; Paul Dampier Community Commitment Award)
· Krystal Blain (Alma Van Dusen Award)
· Doreen Barry (Alma Van Dusen Award)
· Belinda Ball (M. Keith Lutsiak Business Management Award)
· Sheila Goodyear (Western Financial Group Award)
· Michael Normandeau (Fort Nelson Campus Career and College Preparation Instructor Selection Award)
· Carol-Ann Osmond (Roy Cunningham Memorial Award)
· Willow Unruh (Jim Kassen Legacy Award)
· Chelsea Abraham (Talisman Career and College Preparation Award)
· Chris Legge (James Keeler Memorial Award)
· Brad Young (BP Canada Energy Oil and Gas Field Operations Award)
· Wayne Bennett (G&O Bumper to Bumper Award)
· Laurelle Dettieh (Suncor Energy Foundation Award)
· Kyle Prosper (Talisman Oil and Gas Field Operations Award)