Students explore the theory supporting wind turbines and the practical maintenance procedures required to maintain turbine output. Upon completion of the program, students are prepared to enter the field as wind turbine technicians, or to progress to higher levels of certification in the industry.
Upon successful completion of the Electrical portion of the program, students will write the provincial Electrical Level 1 Apprenticeship exam. Graduates also are eligible to write the BZEE Certification Examination to start the process of obtaining international certification.
Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician. Demand is strong not only in North America, but in Europe as well.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 39 weeks
Start: September - next intake in 2016
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 11 level that includes:
- Grade 11 English or Career and College Preparation ENGL040 (Advanced/Grade 11) with 67 per cent (C+) or higher;
- Grade 11 Math (Pre-Calculus) or Career and College Preparation MATH040 (Advanced/Grade 11) with 67 per cent (C+) or higher; and
- Grade 11 Physics or equivalent with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
- Trades/Electrical Math Assessment: 70 per cent or higher
- Grade 11 completion that includes Grade 11 English, Grade 11 Math (Pre-Calculus 11), and Grade 11 Physics, all with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
After being accepted into the program but before add/drop date, students will be required to provide proof of the following certifications:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
- Occupational First Aid - Level 1
- High Angle Rescue
- Confined Space Entry
- Industrial Worker Fall Protection
*All certificates must be from an approved source, and valid for the term of the program. Failure to provide proof may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- There are no classes scheduled during July and August.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Safety equipment (CSA approved steel toe boots and glasses) must be provided by the student.
- Program graduates are responsible for paying to write the BZEE Certification Examination. Cost is approximately €250 (250 EUROs), subject to change without notice.
- The program is affiliated with the following: Lethbridge College, Vestas America, BZEE International, Great Plains College, and the Industry Training Authority.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician program
Do you need more information?
Associate Dean: Robert McAleney