The program provides technical and practical knowledge to individuals for the oil and gas industry. Oil and Gas Field Operators are considered essential personnel to keep the industry running. Graduates will enter an industry that is both challenging and rewarding, and will have industry recognized skills beneficial for employment.
Production field operator.
Location: Fort St. John Campus
Length: 17 weeks
Start: September and February
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
- Grade 10 English, or Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Advanced/Grade 10) with 67 per cent (C+) or higher; and
- Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), or Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate /Grade 10) with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
Complete the following sections Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
- Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
- Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace), both with 67 per cent (C+) or higher.
The learner is responsible for successfully completing the following certification. The learner must submit the appropriate proof of completion to the program Instructor prior to Practicum placement for the OGOP 102 course:
• Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
• Occupational First Aid - Level 1
• H2S Alive
• Electronic General Safety Orientation (eGSO)
*All certificates must be from an approved source, and valid throughout the practicum duration.
Failure to provide proof of certification may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- The program is affiliated with the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
- Students must provide safety equipment, including footwear having CSA safety-toe protection and winter wear.
- NLC will provide students with the following items: hardhat, set of earplugs, pair of gloves, and coveralls.
- Students must provide an approved laptop. Specifications available once accepted to the program from the Admissions Officer or Instructor.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Oil and Gas Field Operator program
Do you need more information?
Associate Dean: Robert McAleney
Program Instructor: Mike Seinen