The program provides technical and practical knowledge to individuals for the oil and gas industry. Oil and Gas Field Operators are considered essential personnel to keep the industry running. Graduates will enter an industry that is both challenging and rewarding, and will have industry recognized skills beneficial for employment.
Production Field Operator.
Location: Fort St. John Campus
Length: 17 weeks
Start: September and February
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, or Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Intermediate/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), or Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate /Grade 10) with C+ or higher.
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher;
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English, Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), all with C+ or higher.
After being accepted into the program but before classes begin, students will be required to provide proof of the following certifications:
• Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
• Occupational First Aid - Level 1
• H2S Alive
• Common Safety Orientation (CSO) course
* Certificates must be valid for the term of the program. Failure to provide proof may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- The program is affiliated with the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
- Students must provide safety equipment, including Footwear having CSA safety-toe protection, cold weather Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and CSA safety glasses with clear lenses..
- NLC will provide students with the following items: hardhat, set of earplugs, pair of gloves, and coveralls.
- Students must provide an approved laptop. Specifications available once accepted to the program from the Admissions Officer or Instructor.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the current Program Completion Guide. (Click here to Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide Effective September 2020)
APPLY NOW for the Oil and Gas Field Operator program
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org