The Piping Trades Foundation Training Program encompasses the foundational technical training required to enter into the trades of Plumber and Steamfitter/Pipefitter. This training includes all the relevant technical training to successfully complete the Foundation/Level 1 ITA learning outcomes for both trades simultaneously. Students who successfully complete this training will have satisfied the ITA requirements for their level 1 training in either trade.
While enrolled in this program, students will be required to successfully complete a 3 week (90 hour) work Practicum placement, exposing them to the tasks and day to day functions of employees and apprentices in the trade. Students who complete the Piping Trades Foundation Program will receive credit for 375 work-based hours toward completion of either Plumbing Apprenticeship or Steamfitter/Pipefitter Apprenticeship depending on their choice of trade.
Excellent opportunities exist in the local and regional industry for plumbers, steamfitters and pipefitters. Above average salaries are offered as well as excellent working environments.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: Approximately 19 weeks (570 hours)
Start: September (Please refer to the Trades Intake Schedule)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Intermediate/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+ or higher;
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher;
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Mechanical Reasoning: 51/70 (6th Stanine) or higher
Based on the results of the assessment(s), applicants may be required to participate in an assessment interview to determine admissibility. Interview may be conducted via teleconference if necessary.
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10) with C+ or higher.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Safety wear such as gloves, hard hats, and coveralls, footwear having CSA safety-toe protection and CSA safety glasses with clear lenses.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority and Trades Program Advisory Committees.
- Students are required to sign and adhere to the Trades and Apprenticeship Safety and Attendance Rules and Regulatory Practices for Students Policy.
- Students may be required to have H2S Alive certificate, depending on practicum host requirement.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Piping Trades Foundation program
Do you need more information?